Saturday, June 19, 2010

1 + 1 = 8

First...no I am not pregnant with sextuplets! :)

The 1 + 1 = 8 refers to my mom and (stepdad) John's recent nuptials. As John likes to describe it, our families are united under a common "G" (they are HUGE Green Bay Packer fans represented by a green and yellow G and we are HUGE Georgia Bulldog fans, of course, represented by the most beautiful red and black G). Can I get a collective "awww" for this picture of them?!?! Too sweet
Back to the "eight" part of it! Together...our families bring together 8 people. More specifically, 7 WOMEN and John :) He has 4 daughters plus me and my sister, Jessica! As you can imagine he is a bit outnumbered by the sheer amount of estrogen present when we are together! His daughters - who are fabulous - live in Minnesota, so the first time we have all been under one roof together was THIS week! We ventured through the blazing heat and enjoyed a few days filled with roller coasters, water slides, cornhole, grilling, and chilling :) SOOO fun

You might think that being together would have many obstacle such as sharing 3 bathrooms among 8 people or cooking enough food to feed the whole group or trying to come to an agreement about what we should do next, but I would beg to differ. Surprisingly, these issues were not a problem....the biggest obstacle was the "language barrier."

My Southern ears had a hard time adjusting to "yankee talk." Although they cited some study that reported that Minnesota accents were the easiest to understand (I'd like to see the reference on that study!), I had to use lots of active listening skills and context clues to understand some of our conversations HAHA. I could have done a whole blog on "Language Interpretation 101: The North Meets the South"

Even so, it makes my heart smile to know that we are all united under a common "G" (more pics to come with all of us in our jerseys) to parents who have found something VERY special, and I look forward to LOTS of opportunities to hone my skills in deciphering "yankee talk" in the years to come :)



No comments:

Post a Comment