Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother's Day & Marriage

There continues to be lots of BIG changes around the Greer household.  Not only does the SIZE of my reflection startle me often :) but I find myself being enthralled with topics that I once bypassed more nonchalantly.  You can probably guess the things I am talking about:
  • The debate on which way the car seat should be faced
  • Data on breastfeeding
  • Should the baby sleep in our room?
  • Which garbage can really traps the smell of stinky diapers?
We sat in church on Sunday and while I was glowing from winning a rose for being the "newest" mom, I was also listening to the sermon with a slightly new perspective on parenting....because this was after all my 1st mother's day :) 

A lady led the Children's Church portion of the service as she spoke with about 15 lil' bears in front of the church.  She said that when mommies have babies that God plants a diamond in their hearts that fills then with so much love for their children. She went on to say that only mommies have this special diamond in their hearts....the love never ended...so on and so forth...

For some reason, this just did not sit well with me.  Yes, I know that it wasn't an actual anatomoy lesson and she was trying to break it down so that the kids could understand, but it still ruffled my feathers a little bit. 

Our good friend leaned over to me and said, "I'm glad that my cousin isn't here because he would not understand this message at all.  His mother is hardly around."  Ahh...yes.  That was part of it.  Not all moms develop a deep rooted love for their children just because they carry a baby in their belly for 9 months. 

Then, as I looked at Adam, I realized the other part of that message that bothered me.  It isn't just moms who have a unique love for their children.  It is dad's too, right?!  Again, not all moms and dads exhibit this unconditional love, but I believe with every fiber of my being that men can love their children as strongly as moms do. 

I am blessed to be walking this wild road of parenthood with my best friend and a man who will be an amazing father.  This week, we not only celebrated my first mother's day, but we also celebrated our 2nd year of marriage!!!  What a blessing to be part of Team LG and to be married to a man who is dedicated to marriage, to being a parent, and most importantly to God.   

Do we have the perfect marriage?  Nahh...
Do we still have lots of learn about being paerents?  Sure...
Am I excited about the journey to come and 50+ more wedding anniversaries?  You better believe it!

As we celebrate, I thought I would provide a quick history in pictures for your viewing pleasure:

3 years ago Adam and I started dating.  When his dad came to visit he MADE us take a picture together to show Adam's grandma...I guess to prove that I really did exist :)  We were at church, so he had us stand in front of the church sigh.  We were embarassed as everyone was walking by watching us take this picture.  PLUS, this was literally our first picture together.  I am not sure we had ever even hugged at this point!  Awkward...



Then on our wedding day, we decided to "re-enact" the photo by the 1st Baptist sign for fun!

Now, 3 years later when we added a new Greer to the family we just could not resist another pictures in "our spot!"  :)



Can't wait until September when we get to add the next picture to this series holding Adalyn!

2 comments:

  1. Love it!
    You're right, dad's love/can love their kids just as much as moms, it just comes about a different way. For most of us mamas, parenting comes swiftly as a baby arrives and needs immediate and constant care. For us breastfeeders, we're the ones on all night duty no matter how tired. But dads often need a little time to warm up to all the changes.

    I'm sure Adam will be up for every feeding, holding your hand and changing every stinky diaper :) If so, then you're probably the luckiest mama on planet Earth:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this day too much and I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete