Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Adjustments to Life when You are 8 1/2 Months Pregnant

Lots of people have asked if I still love being pregnant.  The answer is a definitive YES! 

In a lot of ways pregnant women have it made...esp. when you have SUCH a great husband and wonderful friends like mine.
  • No one judges the food you eat (unless you try to sneak in a soda, then they pounce you!)
  • You get to wear pants with elastic waistbands...again without judgment
  • You have an excuse for just about anything...being tired, wanting to sit down, having gas  :)
BUT if you were to ask if I am ready to have this baby, the answer would also be a definitive YESSSS! 

I have realized in the past few weeks that I have had to make several adjustments to everyday life.  Some big changes, some small changes....but all the changes have to do with the squirmy little lady and extra 23lbs. that gather around my mid-section. 

I made a quick list that I call: "You may be 8 1/2 months pregnant if..."
  • You measure the exhaustion of your day by the size of your ankles.  Need I say more!
  • You have to make a plan to bend over.  These days bending over to get something off the ground is often associated with sighs and groans.  After watching this show of painful bending for a few weeks, Adam (being the helpful husband he is) offered me a suggestion.  Instead of offering to pick up various items for me, he said, "Why dont you spread your legs wide before you bend over, so that your belly doesn't hit your legs when you bend?!"   HA!  Thanks sweetheart.  Don't tell him, but it was actually a great idea!
  • You are proud of your "talon toes." Similar to the story above and my recent challenges with bending, I have come to realize that I have "talon toes."  Why bend when you can pick things up with your toes?  This may have been embarassing a few months ago, but these days I am really impressed with my faux ambidexterity.
  • You have a debate with yourself if a certain food is worth the heartburn.  Oh, I LOVE hot sauce, pizza, tacos, oranges, hot wings....well, lets be honest I JUST LOVE FOOD!   These foods and most others taste so good, but spicy/acidic foods + a wiggle worm sitting on your stomach = heartburn.  Sigh.  So, these days I have to continually ask myself, "Is this worth heartburn?"  Most of the time the answer is YES :)  As a side note, this would be a great time to invest in Pepcid A/C.  I am keeping them in business!
  • You check your purse for your keys, wallet, phone, and SNACKS before you leave the house.  I don't leave the house unless I have enough snacks to feed a small army.  Sudden "snack attacks" can hit you at anytime.  Don't forget the girl scout motto: be prepared! 
  • You had to switch to "adult" cereal because eating Lucky Charms and Coco Pebbles in the morning made you shaky.  I did just realize that almost all of my life adjustments have to do with food.  Ba ha ha.  It is what it is, and for me mornings now consist of cheerios and strawberries.  Boring!
I guess life is about being adaptable.  Here's to adaptability (and creative solutions) through these next 6 weeks.   

Come on Adalyn!  Mom and dad are about ready for you :)  Then, we will face a string of new challenges and creative solutions I'm sure!

1 comment:

  1. Laughed out loud for several of these. One thing that is funny about picking things up with your toes is that it won't end after the baby is born because you will always have something in your arms and your foot/toes will make great extra helpers! Another thing that doesn't change is snacks in your purse. The snacks are just different. And in a diaper bag! :)

    ReplyDelete