Sunday, August 1, 2010

Learning While Teaching!

I love my job(s)! As a little background, I have been in grad school at Auburn for the last 4 years (yet still a faithful Georgia Bulldog). During that time, I have worn many “hats!” Beyond my favorite roles (wife to Adam, sister, daughter, etc!), I also have had some rocking jobs. 4+ years as a research assistant for Alabama’s healthy marriage initiative and the last three years as a therapist at a community mental health facility.

I love therapy, but I was ready for a new adventure. In the spring of this year, I co-taught a class with my major professor...loved it! Then, this summer, I turned in my 30 day notice at mental health when I was offered a job teaching an undergrad Marriage & Family class at Auburn.

Transitioning from a one-on-one, community mental health setting to a classroom with 35 “knowledge seekers.” Oh, it has been an adventure!!!! There are some similarities between therapy and undergrads (i.e. in both settings some WANT to be there, others don’t; both are filled in interesting people who keep me on my toes!)

Here are a few things that I have learned/enjoyed about teaching this summer:

4. Everyone was learning…including ME! I had a chatty, thoughtful group of students who asked LOTS of questions and had even more “colorful” stories to highlight various topics we discussed including LOVE, costs/rewards for romantic relationships, rules for breaking up, healthy sexuality, etc.

3. I felt so funny! : ) I am not sure if they are required to laugh at my jokes and stories because I was the instructor (or maybe Adam paid them), but they did which just encouraged me to tell more jokes! Ha!

2. It is important to have clarity in communication! This is a good lesson for everyone…therapists, teachers, spouses, etc. On the first exam, I asked the students to describe the difference between individualistic values (individual/self oriented) and familistic values (family oriented). Then, I asked them to illustrate each value system expecting for them to give me an example of each. I was really confused when I was grading the tests and began seeing pages covered in STICK FIGURES! 
HAHA! I didn’t know if I should deduct points or give extra credit : ) Next time I will just ask for an example.  p.s. I asked permission from the students to use these

1. The best part about teaching: Watching the A-ha Moments! Lots of students across the University have to take this class. I had interior design students, engineers, communication disorder folks…students from a variety of back grounds. As diverse as their interests were, we all had some common ground in this class. We all have a family – whether biological or a chosen family – and we will continue to be part of a community of people.
Several students we struck by the fact that we can STUDY marriages and families! Skills such as having realistic expectations and being intentional in relationships can promote healthy relationships and stability….plus research rocks! The last part was added by me. They may not yet love research as much as I do!

What a blessing to have such a great job in which I get to talk about marriages and families!! Looking forward to learning lots more as I continue to teach this fall!

1 comment:

  1. Very Awesome my love!!! You are so very talented. Also, I want to clarify about something said in reason three of why you loved teaching: I did not actually pay off your class to laugh at your jokes. Although I am pretty sure that you must've just used jokes that I taught you ;)

    ReplyDelete